Thursday, December 27, 2007

Ho! Ho! Ho! Christmas FO's!!!

I finished! And, before the Fat Man came down the chimney, too!! The photo to the right shows the Christmas Finished Objects (FO's) that were wrapped up and under the tree on 12/25/07:
  1. In the back, draped over the chair, is Nana's Prayer Shawl, using Lion Brand's Homespun in Barrington, knitted with a strand of worsted weight, plum-colored yarn to give it weight. I used the pattern in Debbie Macomber's latest book, Back on Blossom Street, for the Triangular Prayer Shawl...and added fringe on three sides, to serve as woven prayer beads.
  2. On the left is M's Felted Mobeius Bowl with added I-cord accent, knitted in Cascade's 220 Quatro, Number 9434. I used the pattern for the largest bowl in Cat Bordhi's book, A Second Treasury of Magical Knitting. I got both the book and the yarn in Lawrenceville, GA at The Yarn Garden.
  3. Continuing on around the photo, lower right, are the socks I knitted for M. using the Duet Sock Yarn called Middy from A Swell Yarn Shop (online). You get the hand-dyed yarn for the socks and a coordinating yarn for the heels and toes. Sweet! I used the same Slipped Rib pattern from One Skein Wonders that I had used for Sister-in-Law J's green socks.
  4. And, last but not least, being modelled by Ted E. Bear, is the Tam and Scarf knitted for M. I used baby alpaca yarn for both the body of the pieces and for the accents (edges of scarf; Fair Isle pattern of the Tam). The main color yarn is Wheat Bernat Alpaca Natural Blends and the accent yarn is a multi (purples, pinks, beiges) Big Baby from Alpaca with a Twist (Georgetown, IN). The Tam is a pattern from the good ol' standby book, The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns, with a Fair Isle pattern thrown in for good measure (to see if I had the hang of knitting with two yarns and both hands...at the same time...and I did!), and the scarf is the Filippi Scarf pattern from One Skein Wonders.
  5. Not shown in the photo is the pair of black socks knitted for Mr. T. from Panda Cotton and Bamboo blend, worked in a K2, P2 rib. I've written about working on this yarn before...but I didn't tell about the little detail I added to make these socks personal: I knitted in a heart shape on one of the toes, using some red Panda. Now, whenever he wears these going through airport security and has to remove his shoes, he can think of me!

I had a ball (pun intended...:) knitting up a storm for the Holidays. And, all recipients seem happy with their gifts. But, honestly? I'm looking forward to doing a few stitches in a couple of projects just for me. Almost sounds selfish, doesn't it? So be it. I've got several patterns put aside to start "after I finish the presents." Well, that time is now!

Stay tuned for updates!

No comments:

  A Bright, Sunny New Chapter Here’s to spending 49 years with the same Valentine! Even though our story’s Prologue began in Jackson, MS, wh...