Tuesday, June 17, 2008

100 Years...A Very Happy Birthday Indeed!

What a wonderful time we had on Sunday! We traveled to Tennessee to help Cousin Allene celebrate her 100th birthday. In the photo to the left, Nana/Momma/Edith shares her best wishes with the Birthday Girl in her beautiful home at an afternoon open house, that welcomed more than a hundred friends and relatives.



I thought and thought and thought. What do you get someone who has everything...or, could buy whatever she wants or needs? I knew I had to be a little creative with this one! First, I found a 1908 nickel. Then, I researched the year of her birth and created a card with the following highlights:



  • January 1, 1908 - A ball drops in NYC's Times Square for the first time.

  • January 12 - A long distance radio message is sent from the Eiffel Tower for the first time.

  • March 21 - Frenchmen Henri Farman pilots the first passenger flight.

  • September 27 - Henry Ford produces his first Model T automobile.

  • October 14 - The Chicago Cubs win the World Series (for the last time...:).


I framed the coin and the card together, hoping that she'll enjoy this gift from my heart!



Mr. T wore his Father's Day gift...a rather wild Hawaiian-themed Cardinals shirt...with nary a dot of red on it. Interesting, huh. Here we are (right), having a good time at the party. Cousin Cliffordene snapped the photo...about 5 pictures before my batteries died. I know, I know...always take extras. I've gotten a little lax about that since my "extras" were confiscated by TSA Security at the STL airport earlier this year...drat. But, I should have known that these were working on borrowed time...these lithium batteries have served me well since about February...all the way through our trip to Ireland and beyond. Thankfully, I was able to get snapshots of all the cousins except one couple.

If you would like to see the rest of the photos (and some more of flowers and the bridge and the pond in the back yard...and the baby sweater I finished knitting last week for my beautician's new baby...:), just follow this link (or the one in the column on the left) to my Photoworks.com Share Page. The album with the birthday pictures is the one with the "rose on the lattice" photo on front. Enjoy: www.photoworks.com/members/adsit2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patricia, I love the photos! Your garden is beautiful and I really like the turtle!

Your knitting friend Teresa

Patricia Lunn Adsit said...

Many thanks! We FINALLY got the hole/leak in the pond liner fixed last weekend, so now the Turtle Spitter and the waterfall are working with a full pond...plus, we hooked up a bio-filter to the waterfall pump, so the water is s-l-o-w-l-y getting cleaner. The fish are ever so thankful...:)

  A Bright, Sunny New Chapter Here’s to spending 49 years with the same Valentine! Even though our story’s Prologue began in Jackson, MS, wh...