Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Red Scarf Project: Knit 2, Purl 2

When creating my blog, I added some RSS feeds for subjects that I find interesting: Motley Fool's Financial Headlines, NPR's Morning Edition (I wanted to do "Car Talk," but they didn't have one), the World Champion St. Louis Cardinals, and knitting. I'm sure these will change over the next few months and days.

Anyone who knows me knows that I love to knit (many thanks to my cousin Betty Jean for teaching me how all those years ago) and crochet, and always have several projects going at any given time...when I get tired of one, I'll pick up another. Recently, I've been working on a "replacement" baby blanket for Hannah by special request from her Mom, who says that the blankie I made when Hannah was born a few years ago is in need of being retired. It's a joy to work on, as it is a shell pattern with three pretty colors (white, baby pink, and bubble gum pink)...and it makes my heart sing to think a little girl needs another blankie from me!

Anyway, I followed a link on the Knitting feed the other day and discovered The Red Scarf Project ( http://www.orphan.org/red_scarf_project.xhtml ). I read about this wonderful mission of The Orphan Foundation of America ( http://www.orphan.org/ ), and dashed to my yarn stash to locate some soft, red yarn...enough to knit a scarf to donate. I had a whole skein of Rubine Red, left over from a sweater I made for Mom for Christmas, so grabbed some size 13 needles, cast on 36 stitches, and began: Knit 2, Purl 2. So far, it's about 35 inches long by 6 inches wide (although it's soft and stretchy).

This makes a nice scarf, especially if you make it a little longer than you think it ought to be...it's all the style, especially in London, where they double'em up before they loop'em through. I don't know whether I'll add fringe or not...I'll decide that when I've finished knitting it up. The only catch is I have to knit fast: they only accept donations of knitted scarves through the end of January...6 days to go! So I'd better quit blogging and start knitting!

No comments:

  A Bright, Sunny New Chapter Here’s to spending 49 years with the same Valentine! Even though our story’s Prologue began in Jackson, MS, wh...