Friday, January 15, 2010

Call to Action

The images coming out of Haiti are so heart-breaking.  I cannot...do not wish to...imagine how I would feel if I had a loved one there at the epicenter of the recent earthquake.  What to do?  What to do?  What to do? Pray, of course.  But, isn't there something more I can do?  Certainly there is. 



I can open both my heart and my pocketbook to help.  I chose to go the Yum! Brands website, scroll down the page, and follow the link to donating to the World Hunger Relief program.  As those of you who read my blog know, Missy M is an employee of Yum! Brands, working as an Instructional Designer for the Long John Silver's and A&W brands.  What you may not know is that yesterday, Yum! announced it was directing $500,000 of its World Hunger Relief donations to help Haiti.  If this major corporation has vetted this charitable organization and trusts it to use funds wisely and expediently, I have to believe that my (much, much smaller) donation is in safe...and competent...hands.


Of course, food isn't the only necessity in need...other things are immediately needed in Haiti:  temporary shelter, water, medical care, assistance in locating friends and family members, etc.  To meet those needs, I have relied on the American Red Cross.  You can follow that link to their webpage, or call them at 1-800-REDCROSS to donate.  I attempted to use the webpage route earlier today, but was warned that it might take several hours for the donation to go through their over-loaded system.  I still haven't received a confirmation email of my donation, so I'm not really sure that it made it yet; I may have to revisit the site and try again later. 

Exploring another avenue, I chose to take advantage of technology by texting the word HAITI to 90999, using my cell phone, to donate $10 instantly.  I received an almost-instant reply, asking me to confirm my gift by texting YES back to the number.  Easy, peasy.  (The donation will appear on my cell phone bill.)  You can do this as many times as you wish to reach your level of giving. 

Still not sure about this?  Read more about it on their blog.  You'll learn that, as of 9:00 a.m. today, there had been more than $3 million dollars donated this way, with 100% of the funds going to earthquake-relief efforts in Haiti.  Have concerns about the Red Cross because you've heard some adverse commentary from some talking head on TV, trying to create drama?  Well, I choose to listen to the comments of a Hurricane Katrina survivor:  "My family and I were helped by the Red Cross in Biloxi after Katrina, and now I am happy to be able to help others in return." 

Regardless of where you choose to direct your gifts, I urge you to please give generously.  In making this plea, I am guided by Luke 12:48:  "...Much is required from the person to whom much is given..." (Good News Bible...English Version).

I have been truly blessed.  Time for me to act!

No comments:

  A Bright, Sunny New Chapter Here’s to spending 49 years with the same Valentine! Even though our story’s Prologue began in Jackson, MS, wh...