Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Oh, What a Week

Mr. Dickens said it better than I can:  it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Let's start with the best...

I had a fantastic time last week at the 2010 MESDA Textile Seminar, "'Trees of life bear fruits of love,' New Research in Southern Needlework and Textiles."  I learned so much, as this was a "scholarly" seminar...plus, I had fun.  Period.  It was the first seminar/workshop/class that I've attended in years, just for the fun of it. 

As I am more of a hand's-on learner, I would have to say my two favorite sessions were the MESDA Research Center Exploration on Wednesday, where we were given an assignment and got to play "treasure hunt" throughout the Research Center; and, the Coverlet Turning on Saturday, where we got to see (up close and personal) more than 25 coverlets and quilts from the MESDA collection...many that have never been exhibited before.  The photo on the right is of one of the quilts we saw on Saturday.  It is an applique, c. 1850, from Baltimore, credited to Alice Baynes, in pinks and greens (with the pink-est fabric being added at a later date as a replacement). Beautiful!

While at the seminar, I also got some information on my great grandmother Holland's coverlet, although not a definitive pattern name yet.  I did learn it is called an Overshot weave (as there is a float on the reverse, wool over cotton...learned about that, too...:), and I got some names of reference materials for more research.  I learned how to fold it for display (in 1/3's, over a clean, cotton sheet; refold it 2-3 times a year to keep from damaging the fibers by putting too much stress for too long).  And, I got other vital bits and pieces of information that may come in handy for another project...down the road.



Of course, it wasn't all serious.  I had to laugh when I approached the main entrance to MESDA...and was met by a family of guinea fowl.  They do their best to get inside the museum...and on occasion, they make it!  I had to snap this shot of a guinea hen greeter (left). 

Anyway, that was my best of times for the week past.



On to the worst of times...

Dear, sweet Elmo had almost a whole week, free of the pain of his primary glaucoma...following the surgical procedure to his right eye last Monday.  We were thrilled to learn that he still had some vision remaining in his left eye, and we continued with the eyedrop routine to protect what he had.  Supposedly, dogs with primary glaucoma who lose the sight in one eye can have 6 months to 3 years before the glaucoma will strike the other eye.  But, it was not meant to be.  Late in the week, he began to exhibit all the symptoms of a glaucoma "episode" in his left eye:  swelling, pain, etc.  We had an appointment for a re-check on Monday with Dr. Nasisse (dear, wonderful fellow), and we were prepared for what he had to tell us:  it was time to do the procedure to the left eye.  All went well with the injection, and we got to bring Elmo home yesterday afternoon, a bit groggy from the anesthetic, but alert and aware.  He's doing fine...learning to navigate around the furniture, walls, and doors...and to follow Gus's barks.  Best of all, he's still got his healthy appetite.  Give him a few weeks, and he'll be able to handle anything that comes along, I'm certain.

So, what's so bad, you might ask?  I'm not sure I can handle much more "that comes along"...on my present dwindling energy resources, that is. I was quite simply drained last night.  I can't help but tear up whenever I think of Elmo not being able to see ever again...so, I guess I wasn't completely "prepared" for it after all. Sigh.

But, a few days of quiet and calm...and hopefully no more immediate issues to deal with...and I'll be back in form.  We've got a party coming up in a couple of weeks...lots of family and friends coming to help celebrate Mom's 90th birthday...and I want to be ready for that.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

  A Bright, Sunny New Chapter Here’s to spending 49 years with the same Valentine! Even though our story’s Prologue began in Jackson, MS, wh...