Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Red Letter Day

It's the last day of my 56th year...what's a girl to do?


  1. 1. First things first. I got my North Carolina driver's license and got registered to vote in the process. Woo-hoo! Although NC gives new residents 60 days to do this, my Missouri driver's license was expiring tomorrow (yikes!), so I had to tackle this sooner rather than later. After a few days of studying the online information, I drove to Kernersville, as their DMV office seems to be easier to access than the one here in High Point, taking with me a stack of identifying documents: passport (to prove my middle name is Lunn; NC no longer accepts just the initial); my social security card (to prove that I have a valid Social Security number...although I still remember being told that the SSN would NEVER be used as identification...unh-hunh); my MO driver's license (to prove I had a valid picture ID and current license); and my electric utility bill (to prove my NC address is valid). Gee-whiz. Then, I passed the eye test, the road signs test, and finally the knowledge ("25 questions on the book") test. At least I didn't have to take a road test. Well, truth be told, I've never taken the road test. You see, 40 years ago tomorrow, I went to the Lauderdale County Highway Patrol Station in Ripley, TN, to get my license on the day I turned 16...and the Highway Patrolman in charge said "oh heck, I know you can drive a car; I've seen you driving that green (VW) bug up and down the roads enough." Right. Of course, that wasn't the time to admit that my Papaw used to let me drive his white AMC Rambler to Whiteville with him when I was 10 or 11. Oh yeah, no worries, plenty of experience, officer.

  2. After having spent more than a few restless hours worrying about getting my NC license, I thought I'd earned a special treat once I'd reached my goal. Turned my little blue car back toward High Point and the Palladium cinema. It's July 15th, for goodness sakes'...and that means that it's Day One for "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince!" Loved it, loved it, loved it. Can't wait to go again with Mr. T tomorrow, even!


Yep, that's a good way to spend a Birthday Eve, wouldn't you agree?

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Most definitely!!!! We're going to see HP Friday and there was definitely a protest from me to wait until then. :)

  A Bright, Sunny New Chapter Here’s to spending 49 years with the same Valentine! Even though our story’s Prologue began in Jackson, MS, wh...