Project Update

First things, first...the summer weather report:

It's been HOT, HOT, HOT for so LONG, LONG, LONG! Yesterday was a bit of a reprieve, with a high of "only" 94 degrees, but the humidity was so HIGH, HIGH, HIGH that it felt like a wet blanket thrown overhead, just to go out to the mail box. Then, there's today...where it's already 97 before noon, with 104 predicted for our high...ouch! Who wants to do anything outside in this heat? When will summer pass...?

That brings me to my (indoor) project report. Since I can't seem to get the energy to do anything outside, I have been knitting up a storm. I finished my striped Sockotta socks (photo, left) late last week and a set of baby socks in Aqua Jeannette, a cotton blend, this weekend. I worked the stripies on two circular needles, size US1, like the book pictured (Cat Bordhi's "Socks Soar on Circular Needles"), and that worked out pretty well. At least, this pair fits me a bit better than my first sock attempt, AKA The Slouch Sox! The baby socks were worked on 5 double points, size US1.5, and I could hardly straighten out my sore, stiff hands and fingers after that challenge. I used the smaller sized needles to try to get a smaller sock than the pattern called for (that part worked), but I forgot that the yarn is classified as a worsted weight 4...too fat for those needles for sure! But I loved working with the cotton so much better than the wool/cotton blend of the stripies.

I have also finished one sock of a pair I'm working on for Mom in Crystal Palace Yarns Panda Cotton (blend of bamboo and cotton) in Vanilla Cream. This stuff feels wonderful! I've adapted an Interweave Press Knitting Daily Ann Budd pattern called Ambrosia Socks, using the Butterfly Rib pattern stitch over 56 stitches (8 pattern repeats per round), but only for 6 pattern rounds, forming short cuffs, as Mom hates "long-legged socks." I continue the K6P2 rib down the top of the sock, using a Stockinette Stitch for the bottom. I'm using two circs, US2, but knitting from leg to toe, rather than from toe-up (as the pattern calls for). She tried on the finished sock yesterday and liked it so much she wanted to keep wearing it...by itself! I'll post pictures as soon as I finish Sock #2.

I took a break from knitting to read Debbie Macomber's latest Blossom Street series book, "Back on Blossom Street." This is the third book in a series about a yarn shop (called "A Good Yarn") and all that happens there. It's a great Summer Read, just like looking through the window...or, walking in to browse. This particular story is about the Prayer Shawl class that Lydia (the shop owner) offers, so it includes a couple of Prayer Shawl patterns. I'm thinking I'll make one for Mom for Christmas...shhhhh, don't tell her....

Speaking of projects, I have been threatening to take credit for these finished projects, pictured in the photos (above left and right). Aren't these Bears fabulous? No, I have to give proper credit for them to Maredith, who is becoming quite a knitting whiz. She gave both of the Bears as baby shower gifts...and they were both unqualified successes. She's got another one on the needles but is taking a break to devote time to her projects from TWO knitting classes: an Eyelet Cardigan and a Fair Isle Hat. She's also helped start a "Stitch & Dish" group at work, where they get together for a lunchtime's worth of stitching over dishes of goodies from home. What a great idea!


OK, back to my knitting! Stay cool!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The First Day of the Rest of Our Lives

A New Month...a New Direction

Cutting the Cord, Part 1: Background