Friday, October 5, 2007

Goodbye to the Red Scarf and the Red Birds

Time to send the Red Scarf on its way, as the scarves are due at HQ by October 15th this year! I knitted up some Berroco's Comfort in "Wild Cherry" in a 2x2 rib pattern (photo, right) and attached a label, using these neat wash tags created and shared by The Crazy Cat Lady Mel. I hope that whoever receives this scarf will wear it in good health, knowing that someone "out there" cares. As Norma (she of Now Norma Knits) says:

The Red Scarf Project, a project of the Orphan Foundation of America, or Orphan.org, collects red (and other unisex-colored) scarves to send in Valentine's Day care packages to college students who have aged out of foster care. These brave young people are going it on their own and trying to improve their lives and the community by attending college. The care packages are welcome tokens of encouragement to young people who otherwise receive little to no mail.

In other knitting news, I think I may have solved my DesignYourOwnSweater dilemma. Recall that I'm worried that I have cast on way too many stitches at the back neck of this thing...and the success or failure of the sweater is in the neck cast on edge (since it is a Top Down project). Well, using another ball of my beautiful blue 009 Cash Vero yarn and a spare pair of US 10.5's, I re-cast on the same number of stitches, using the RECOMMENDED cast on method (long-tail cast on) instead of the one I used (backward loop cast on)...and that may have solved the problem. It looks like the long-tail method provided a tighter base for the subsequent stitches and increases, thereby coming much closer to the neck measurement necessary. Of course, I did this little experiment at 3:00 this morning, while I was waiting for my second muscle relaxer pill of the night to kick in and relieve my back of pain...so, I probably should re-measure before I declare that the problem is sol-ved, right? Lesson here, though, might be...just might be, I say...DO WHAT THE INSTRUCTOR SAYS, YOU TWIT before doing it any old way you like. Stay tuned.

And, as we say the eulogies for the end of a most disappointing season for the Cardinals (no more games...no play-offs...no chance to repeat as the champions of the World Series), here is a photo (left) that Mr. T took with his phone at the last game we attended on September 20th. It was a real heart-breaker, with Houston scoring a record number of runs against the home team Red Birds (18-1). We left at the end of 7, when the score was "only" 10-0 and were floored when we got home to hear the news that H. had scored 8 more runs in two more at-bats. Oh well. It'll be our last look until April '08...which is only a little over 6 months away, right? There are already changes afoot in the administrative offices, so there may be some welcome changes in the coaching staff by then. One can only hope...

No comments:

  A Bright, Sunny New Chapter Here’s to spending 49 years with the same Valentine! Even though our story’s Prologue began in Jackson, MS, wh...